Latent Possibilities

Friday, October 29, 2004

Michelangelo's Lesson for Bloggers

I keep wanting to edit my past posts. I want to make sure my ideas are explained accurately and eloquently, but then I remember the unfinished sculptures of Michelangelo. He sculpted enough of the stone for you to see some of a body--a thigh, hip, and torso; pair of shoulders, back side, and calf--and that's it. He did enough sculpting to reveal the beginnings of the subject, to show you that the subject is indeed there, and then he stopped. It's as if he went so far and then stopped to turn around and say to you, "There. Do you see it?" hoping the unfinished sculpture would lead your imagination into its own rendering of the complete subject.

I can't help but compare weblogs to Michelangelo's unfinished sculptures, not in the sense that blogs are as beautiful as those sculptures (heavens, no), but in the sense that a blog conveys something, even something important, but it is usually unfinished. It points to an idea often, but it seldom fully articulates that idea.

And I think that's okay. I mean, if it was good enough for Michelangelo, it's certainly good enough for me. It is in fact helpful to be able to get down some ideas without worrying about whether it's exactly right.

There. I'll stop now.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home