Latent Possibilities

Friday, June 17, 2005

Basilica of the Sacred Heart

I'm pumped. This Sunday I head down to Notre Dame to take a class, and the thing I'm looking forward to most is being in Notre Dame's Basilica of the Sacred Heart. It is a stunning place to behold. To get in, you have to exert a small amount of effort to open the large oaken doors, and then the place just opens up to you. Walking in can bring me to tears. Here's what it's like: The space above lifts away so that you immediately feel lighter, the scent of lingering incense fills your nose, and the water in the baptismal font glistens with life. It is a place of sacred bliss. I'm not kidding: simply being there nourishes me, fills me up. And I can't wait.

2 Comments:

  • At June 20, 2005 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Chad, I would love to see this. I have some friends who were married there. They also raved about it!
    Alice

     
  • At June 21, 2005 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    The main thing I remember about being in the Basilica was the "fullness" of the space. We arrived early, so we were there to watch this vast space, which seemed like it could never be full, become packed with people sitting shoulder to shoulder in the pews. Then, the music filled the air and you felt consumed by worship. It was unavoidable. There wasn't a square inch of space that could avoid being filled with the Spirit.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home