Latent Possibilities

Friday, November 04, 2005

Redemption from Shawshank...

Remember how Tim Robbins' character walks around on the prison grounds like he doesn't have a care in the world? He is utterly at peace, and it's all because he has this little secret that every night he is getting closer to his rightful liberation.

For some reason today I wondered if maybe we all need to have some sort of side project in hope, some dream we're nursing, some little piece of joy we're helping along. I think of a book project I have going and keep tinkering on now and again. I think of my grandpa and his garden. I think of Alyssa who just this morning while we were laying in bed wondered if one day we could buy her dad's lakeside cabin.

Sometimes all one needs is just a bit of hidden hope like this to keep going, to keep really living. So what about you? What's your little garden patch, your dream, your side project in redemption?

1 Comments:

  • At November 04, 2005 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    It's funny because without realizing it, I do return to that thought/dream on a fairly regular basis. But I guess I had never verbalized it to you before this morning. I think about redecorating the place (in detail!). I think about building on an office for both of us with views of the lake. I imagine us working there in the office, you writing your book and me writing anything that will pay the bills until your book becomes a blockbuster hit. The really interesting thing is that my dream is an extension of a dream my Dad actually made come true. When my grandparents were ready to sell the place, which had been just a summer camp, my Dad and Mom developed a plan to remodel it... adding a huge kitchen with a wall of windows facing the lake, putting in a laundry room, etc. That is the "camp" as we now know it. So I guess my dream is of the "camp" of the next generation.
    -Aly

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home