Latent Possibilities

Friday, February 05, 2010

Imagine a world without bookstores

If the only way to buy books is via online websites like Amazon, suddenly the only marketing that really matters is tribal marketing. Networks are everything. Forget ads. They’re expensive, they’re usually annoying (even to consumers who want what you’re advertising), and in my experience they’re simply not that effective.

How many times have you heard someone say, “Oh, I saw this ad in TIME magazine, so I rushed out to get the book”? You’re much more likely to hear, “My friend told me I had to read this, so I grabbed it off Amazon.”

Forget canvass-type publicity too. Unless your publicity is highly targeted, it becomes a mere blip of exposure. I’m beginning to think this even about big-time programs like The Today Show. Why isn’t there such a thing as “The Today Show Effect,” as there is an “Oprah Effect”? The Oprah Effect is all about Oprah’s tribe. People like Oprah, they trust her, so they buy books she recommends. People like Matt Lauer too, but he’s not allowed to (or simply doesn’t) recommend books on his show.

Big-time publicity may help excite an already existing tribe; it’s not likely to generate a tribe or even add to one.

All that matters the vast majority of the time is helping authors build and cultivate their tribe--folks who are interested in what they have to say. Book promotion must begin, therefore, in a conversation with the author.

PS. I don’t believe a world without bookstores will ever exist. Some bookstores provide a level of service and humanity that makes them immensely valuable in their communities. The others have died or soon will die.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home