Latent Possibilities

Monday, June 27, 2005

The Die Is Cast!

I received a good grade on my first paper, but there's no rest for the wicked. Now I'm focusing on the second, which is to be a liturgical theology of a feast day or sacrament. I've chosen Palm Sunday, and now that i've started the research, so there's no going back now. I'm looking forward to it, actually--to studying the history of this rite and unpacking some of the theological meanings of its texts, symbols, and gestures.

I was talking over dinner with a fellow theological student who went through the discernment process to decide whether or not to take vows to become a Benedictine monk. He decided not to for the present, but he was telling me and another student about the experience of staying in a monastery. We got on the topic of prayer, and he talked about how hard it was, initially, to wake up in the middle of the night (it was 2 or 3 AM) EVERY day to pray. No breaks . . . ever. We moaned in sympathy, but he pointed out that they do go to bed at 8PM. Seeing an opportunity, I couldn't help myself. "Eight PM?" I said. "No wonder those monks are so holy. I figure 90 percent of all my sins have been committed between 8PM and midnight!"

There's something to that, don't you think? I say we all take on a modified monasticism and start going to bed at 8:00 but scrap the middle-of-the-night prayer! Lord help me.

3 Comments:

  • At June 28, 2005 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    There's something to be said for that! What was the rational in praying at 2 a.m.? Just curious.

     
  • At June 29, 2005 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Reminds me of a friend many years ago, who also determined that his time after 8:00 was wasted time, so he adjusted his schedule to going to bed at 8 p.m. and getting up a 3 a.m. to begin his day. In the quiet of the early morning, he could focus and be productive much better than late at night. Interesting idea, but I never tried it.

    I also don't understand the point of praying at 2 a.m. Historically, how would monks have known it was 2 a.m. Did they have someone keeping watch through the night, who would then sound a bell at 2 a.m.? Just wondering.

     
  • At June 29, 2005 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    That last one was me. Guess I forgot to put my name in.

    I look forward to reading your Palm Sunday paper. I love Palm Sunday. Sure, Easter is great, too, but for me, Palm Sunday has a greater impact, a greater range of emotion, of passion.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home