Latent Possibilities

Friday, November 10, 2006

Religions

At the Y where (when I'm feeling vigorous) I work out, they've recently installed televisions on all the treadmills, and as extravagant as that is, I'm glad of it. It sure beats staring at a wall or, worse, a mirror!

This morning I watched the Today Show, on which Matt Lauer is beginning a series on religion. As you might expect, the program featured clip after clip of religious imagery: Muslims bowing to Mecca, Christians in arm-raising praise, Jews at the Wailing Wall, Buddhas, crosses, and so on. It also featured images of religious violence: the smoking towers of 9/11, a Jewish man getting violent with a Muslim, Osama bin Laden in a white robe as he shoots an automatic rifle.

And it hit me as I watched the flashing, juxtaposed imagery of all these different religions: we must learn to live together. We must rise to higher ground than that of claims to superiority. We must hold hands with one another in peace and solidarity.

Religion can be the greatest force for peace on the planet, stronger than any defense strategy, economic policy, or international diplomacy. I really believe that. Or it can be the deadliest force the world has ever known. Which will we choose?

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home