Latent Possibilities

Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Trying to Do What’s Right and Failing

This morning on my way to work I went to my favorite coffee joint, Common Ground, which is three blocks from my home. As I pulled into the parking area behind the place, I saw an unkempt black man with a cigarette hanging unlit from his mouth. He was not moving in any particular direction. He seemed to be waiting, waiting for me, as it turns out, because I was apparently the first person to pull in and talk to him.

“Good morning, sir.”

“Good morning,” I said.

“Excuse me, sir?”

“Yes?”

“Could you help me out with a couple quarters to buy a cup of coffee?” and he held out his hand to display about sixty cents.

“Sure,” I said. “Come on in, and I’ll buy you a cup.”

We went in, and the barista gave him sidelong glances while I ordered for both of us. “I’ll take the African Roast.”

I leaned to him and asked what flavor he wanted, and he said he wanted a cappuccino. That’s when things went sour. I ordered the cappuccino for him, thinking here we go again, another bum taking me for a ride. A few months ago, I drove a man to a gas station, where supposedly the clerk would give him a good deal on cold cuts for him and his family who recently moved from Chicago. The man was still looking for work, he said. Somehow he talked me out of $30, and as I let him off at the gas station, I just knew he wasn’t there to buy food. I don’t know what he was there for, but the place had the aura of secrets and adrenaline.

So when this guy, the guy at Common Ground, asked for a cappuccino, and I ordered it for him, I began kicking myself. I felt like a neon sign started blinking over my head: “Sucker!” Then he asked if the barista would add some sugar, which led to our showing him where the sugar pourer was (it was in plain sight) and him fiddling with it (he did not know how to pour sugar!). And during this segment of the episode I realized this guy was either drunk, though he did not smell of alcohol, or just not all there, probably because he'd damaged his brain beyond repair with one chemical or another.

He told me he had a long way to go to get to work and motioned in the opposite direction of where I work, a point not lost on me, and I told him I’m sorry I couldn’t help. I was angry.

I paid for my coffee and his cappuccino and got out of there. As I was leaving, he was asking the barista if he could spare a book of matches, which is fine if you’re in a bar, but a coffee shop?

I drove away wondering how I could have done things differently because the whole experience was uncomfortable, embarrassing, offensive, and annoying. I wondered what possibly could have happened in this man’s life to make him so mentally vacant. Should I have refused to buy him a cappuccino and told him to pick a coffee blend instead? Should I have driven him to work?

The main thing that bugs me about this experience, and the many others I have had like it, is that I start out trying to do the right thing—the Jesus thing—and I walk away feeling like a schmuck, like I’ve been had, and like all my efforts to love the person are just a facade.

One thing I will do in the future is introduce myself and, if it's not offered, ask what the person's name is. My hope is that this will encourage both of us to treat each other as humans. This morning I was not treated as a human, but neither did I treat that man as a human. Common ground.

3 Comments:

  • At July 20, 2005 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I don't have the answers to your questions, but I know that your intentions are in the right place. As a woman, I think, these decisions are easier because we are taught to simply avoid eye contact with men like this and go on our way. Society tells us the risks are just too high for women. But perhaps I use that as a copout in these sitations. I remember Kathy, the deacon at our church, giving me advice about the people in the parking lot near my former office building who would sometimes ask me for bus fare (the lot was adjacent to the city bus station). She suggested I direct them to a ministry up the street where they could get bus tokens. But, frankly, even enaging in a conversation with a stranger in a parking lot under the freeway felt unsafe to me. I do not know what you should have done differently this morning. Perhaps offering to BRING him a cup of coffee? Perhaps saying no to everything. But I do not think you should feel like a schmuck for trying to follow your heart.
    -- Aly

     
  • At July 20, 2005 , Blogger ChadRAllen said...

    You're right on, Jen. This reminds me that God's economy is not one of scarcity but abundance. It's living from and with a perspective of abundance that I find so difficult. The Les Mis analogy is instructive on more than one level b/c the priest was not so much deceived (like I was) as just plain stolen from, and yet his response was pure grace. I have so much to learn.

     
  • At July 20, 2005 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I agree with Jen on some level and yet...there is something to be said for scrutiny of these types of requests. In many large cities people panhandle for money and then pool their resources in groups. Many are said to make an average of $40,000. each from these endeavors. That's more than many people make who have earned a Masters degree in their field.
    I don't give money to panhandlers for this reason. Maybe I'm jaded.
    - Alice

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home