Latent Possibilities

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Afterlife

Here’s my idea of what would be the best first moments in the afterlife.

I wake up and am walking on a beautiful path in the woods. For a while I simply enjoy walking in nature. Up ahead I see a little house, made of stone from the area, small but cozy.

I walk up to the door, and it opens inward. An old man with deep creases in his face, God, stands before me in slippers, jeans, and a flannel shirt. “Come in,” he says. “I just brewed some coffee.”

We walk to the kitchen and have a seat at the table there. “Black, right?” he asks and sets the mug down in front of me. “Yes.”

And then we proceed to have a long—very long—conversation. A key moment would come when I would ask, “Where were you, God? I mean, were you there? There were so many times when I felt alone and afraid.”

“Oh child,” I want him to say back to me, “I was always there. I was right there beside you every step of the way. In the wind, in the music, in your son’s smile, and even more personally than all that. Trust me, I was with you through every pain, every anxiety, every guilty feeling. I sat beside you and walked with you every moment along the way.”

And I hope I’ll say back to him, “I knew it! I knew you were there. I mean, I didn’t always acknowledge it, and you could have made yourself a little more apparent at times, God (!), but I had this sense you were with me. I just needed to hear you say it. Thank you.”

2 Comments:

  • At January 15, 2012 , Blogger Marie said...

    So do you think 'God' is the same for all religions. I personally am christian and think that your description is lovely (tea rather than coffee) but i hope for something in the afterlife. But im always struck between the fact i know god exists but are they the same. so many people believe different things so who is right?

     
  • At January 19, 2012 , Blogger ChadRAllen said...

    Marie,

    I too am a Christian, but I am sympathetic with your question. Who is right? A question that I wrestle with more, perhaps, is, "Whose understanding of the world produces the most meaning for people? Whose story helps others to make the most of their own story?" Take care. Thanks for commenting.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home