Latent Possibilities

Friday, January 06, 2006

Progress Report

It feels good to blog about how my guitar practice is going, like I'm keeping a chronicle of my progress. Last night I continued working on the E, A, and D major triad chords. Practice, practice, practice. Right now I can't play very long before the tips of my fingers are just screaming with pain. This morning, taking a tip from a friend, I began pressing the tips of my fingers against the edge of my desk to continue toughening them up. While talking with a colleague, I began pressing my fingers against the edge of a book. Driving today, I pressed my fingers against the sharp edge of my travel mug. I've become obsessed with calluses, as I have assurance from several people that once I have them, I'll be able to play as long as I want.

Isn't it interesting the way our skin works? If you keep applying gradual searing pressure, our skin toughens. Who knew? And it's like so much in life. You go through something time and time again, and eventually you become immune to it. I guess the trick is in deciding where to be tough and where to be soft.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home