Latent Possibilities

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Vandenberg

My mom and step-dad recently returned to some of our old family haunts on Vandenberg Air Force Base, near Santa Barbara, CA, where as I recall I attended second through fourth grades. These are images of the house we lived in on base and the school I attended, Crestview Elementary.

I still remember Mrs. King who to my chagrin insisted on kissing me on the cheek when I brought her a gift (Mom gave it to me to give to her) at the end of the school year. I was such a teacher's pet.



But I do recall it was around this time in my life when I took to saying "Bull!" whenever I wanted to protest against an accusation or whatever, and I came very close to getting in "deep trouble" over this because, apparently, "bull" was a little too close to its cousin "bullshit." My mom cleverly copped onto a solution and implored me to add the two syllables "oh-nee" whenever I slipped, so it came out "baloney," though more often than not there was a conspicuous pause between the first and second syllables so it came out "Bull! . . . oh-nee!" Mom likely prevented me from getting suspended with this little trick. Ah, she's a clever one.


I also remember getting a nasty bee sting back then. Sucker hurt.

On a Saturday my friend and I rode our bikes to the school, and I pulled the fire alarm. As the bells rang out we tore out of there like bats out of hell, and I was so scared I'd get caught. Never did, thank goodness.

One more. I remember Mom driving me to the house of a blonde girl I had the hots for on Valentine's Day, so I could deliver a box of chocolates to her. I gave them to her mom when she answered the door. I was to embarrassed to give them to the girl herself. I think her name was Amy Webster or something like that. Ah, the good ole days...

1 Comments:

  • At May 31, 2006 , Blogger Alyssa said...

    What a cutie you must have been. A rebel (the fire alarm) and a romantic (the chocolates on Valentine's Day).... the perfect combination! I am so lucky.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home